Dairy-Free and Vegan Stroganoff
How to make Dairy-Free Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff. This easy vegan stroganoff recipe will quickly become a new favorite pasta dish! It’s also a healthier version and perfect for meal preparation or as a comforting bundled up bowl of goodness!
A classic Stroganoff is a Russian dish traditionally centered around beef that is cooked in a sour cream based sauce and served over egg noodles. The sour cream is an important ingredient that gives Stroganoff it’s signature creamy tanginess. In this recipe I am replacing the sour cream with a dairy-free option that is coconut milk from Chef’s Choice. By simmering the coconut milk together with the seitan and mushrooms it will slowly thicken naturally into a very creamy smooth consistency with that tanginess to it by using yellow mustard and lime juice for seasoning. To replace the beef I am using homemade Seitan but you can also use tempeh, tofu or other meat substitute.
If you enjoyed this recipe show some love by making a picture of your creation or my recipe video, post it on Instagram and don’t forget to tag me under @maricelsvegancrush and I will reshare your post.
- 3 cups portabella mushrooms (cut in half)
- 1 1/2 cups seitan (cut in small pieces)
- 250g fusilli semolina pasta
- 2 handful fresh parsley (chopped)
- 3 garlic gloves (minced)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 medium size onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 500g Chef's Choice coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Cook pasta according to package direction. Drain and set aside.
- In the pan heat vegetable oil and sauté seitan until golden brown. This should take about 6 to 7 minutes depending on which kind of seitan you are using. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat add butter and let melt slowly. Add sliced onion and cook until translucent. Add the mushrooms. Cook until wilted and soft and stir in the minced garlic. Cook for another minute to release the flavours of the garlic.
- Pour the coconut milk and the seitan into the pan. Season with salt, pepper and mustard. Mix gently and let simmer over low heat for about 7-10min until coconut milk is reduced and thickened. Add chopped parsley and combine.
- Combine fusilli noodles with the mushroom gravy and blend until well cooperated. Drizzle lime juice over the stroganoff before serving.
- Replace noodles with grains or mashed potato. For a low carb version make spiralled zucchini or cauliflower rice instead.
- Instead of seitan use tofu, tempeh or other meat option alternatives.