JACKFRUIT MASSAMAN CURRY made easy!
My plant-based version of Massaman curry is just as flavorful and aromatic as the traditional dish. It pairs well with rice, quinoa, noodles, or low-carb cauliflower or zucchini noodles. It is nutty, savory, fresh from the lime juice, and soothing. You can adjust the level of spice. There are several plant-based options for Massaman curry paste available in asian shops or online stores. As always I like to keep things simple so this recipe requires only 10 ingredients.
If you have never used jackfruit, this is the perfect recipe to try. Nowadays, you may get canned jackfruit at Asian stores or your neighborhood supermarket. The jackfruit adds a stringy, thick, chewy texture, absorbing the flavors of the rich, creamy sauce. This Jackfruit Massaman curry is simply phenomenal, and even fussy eaters will love it! The flavor is rich and savory, with a perfect amount of spice. I have marinated my jackfruit in soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and liquid smoke overnight. This is optional but can elevate your dish to a whole new level!
You may use a variety of vegetables, making it quite flexible.
Veggies: mini corn, broccoli, green beans, red bell peppers, zucchini, bamboo shoots, baby corn, cauliflower.
Plant-based meat substitute: tofu, tempeh, seitan, jackfruit
Storing Instructions: For best results, store curry in an air-tight food container. It will last up to 5 days and up to 4 weeks in the freezer. When frozen thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove.
For more meal-prep ideas check out my cookbook including a 3 month program.
Jackfruit Massaman Curry
- 1 can young jackfruit
- 1 small red onion cut in thin slices
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- handful dried tomato soaked in water overnight
- 150 g broccoli cut in bite size florets
- 150 g cauliflower cut in bite size florets
- 1 can coconut milk full fat
- 1-2 Tbsp massaman curry paste
- fresh lime
- roasted peanuts crushed
- In a pan add the sesame oil and sauté onion until translucent.
- Add the dried tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, coconut milk and massaman curry paste. Stir to combine. Cover with a lid and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes or until vegetables a re soft. Then turn off heat.
- Add the fresh lime juice and serve with crushed peanuts or sesame seeds.