Homemade vegan coconut yogurt is easier than you might think!
This yogurt is raw, vegan, gluten-free, full of probiotics & protein and is totally delicious. It can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch with berries or drizzled on top of wraps, supper with curries, or dessert as a delicious frozen yoghurt! The recipe is super easy, and it requires only minimal active hands-on preparation time.
Many brands of probiotics come in capsule form. Simply open the capsules and pour the content into your yogurt to use as a starting culture. Look for brands that are labeled “dairy-free” or “vegan,”.
A finished yogurt can also be used as a starter for your next batch. If you have never made yogurt before, you can use store-bought yogurt instead. There are numerous dairy-free yogurt brands available today, including those made from coconut milk, almonds, cashew, and so on. Save a small amount of yogurt to use as a starter for your first batch. This concept generally works well, and then you’ll just save a bit from the new batch and so on.
Creamy, tangy, thick and simply delicious. Happy creating!
Fermented Coconut Yogurt
- cheese cloth
- glass jar
- wooden spoon
- 1 cup coconut milk full fat
- 1 capsule vegan probiotic
- Shake your coconut milk well. Then open and pour into a clean, sterilized, dry glass jar or bowl. You can easily sterilize glass jars by rinsing thoroughly with boiling water and letting dry completely. Just let them cool back down to room temperature before adding ingredients.
- Empty your probiotic capsule into the coconut milk. Use a wooden or plastic spoon/spatula.
- Cover the mixture with cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band. Let the yogurt activate for 24hours and up to 48 hours in a warm place. The longer it rests, the tangier the yogurt will become.
- Enjoy with berry compote. Keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
The yogurt's texture and tanginess will vary with each batch. It is based upon the coconuts and how thick the meat is, how much water there is, and how strong the probiotics are that you are using. Experiment with different brands to see what work for you.