Vegan Spring Roll Green Curry
Thai Coconut Green Curry with Spring Rolls
Have you ever had spring rolls combine with green curry coupled together for a unique mouth experience? The combination of crispy, juicy spring rolls with spicy and sweet green curry is unique and will knock you off your feet!
This comparatively mild and herbaceous curry is a Thai restaurant menu staple for a reason – well rounded flavours – spiciness soothed by thick creamy cooling coconut and set against the freshness of lemongrass and basil leaves. Flavors that will surely get you hooked on the first bite!
The Thai term for green curry known as “gaeng keow wan” (แกงเขียวหวาน) is translated to English literally as “sweet green curry”. So this is typically known throughout Thailand as a sweeter tasting curry, rather than a spicy curry. Like with many Thai recipes, especially curries, the paste is the most important flavoring of the entire dish. Over the years, I have tried several green curry paste brands and I finally have a favorite – Chef’s Choice! It is not overly spicy, very mild and fresh tasting. Some recipes add extra sugar to make green curry sweeter. But other traditional Thai green curry recipes just rely on the coconut milk to provide the sweetness – I prefer the latter without adding extra sugar. I have used Chef’s Choice coconut milk which is thick and naturally sweet, yuuum!!
Serve this vegan spring roll green curry over brown rice for a perfect meal. I personally love to combine it with cauliflower rice which is a great low carb option.
PS: If you make my vegan spring roll green curry, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram as @maricelsvegancrush and use the #maricelsvegancrush hashtag. I love seeing your takes on my recipes. Happy creating!
Spring Roll Green Curry
For the mini spring roll
- 50 g red cabbage minced
- 150 g firm tofu
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil for filling
- 2 TBSP light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 sheets vegan spring roll pastry 125x125
- 3-4 TBSP vegetable for frying
For the curry
- 100 g aubergine cut in cubes
- 100 g red bell pepper cut in cubes
- 100 g broccoli cut in small florets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP chef's choice green curry paste
- 250 g chef's choice coconut milk
For the mini spring rolls
- Slice the tofu into approximately one-inch cubes. Then using either your hands or a fork, crumble it slightly into minced consistency. Heat oil in a skillet or wok over high heat. Add the tofu and cook for about 5min. Season with soy sauce and black pepper. Add the cabbage and cook for another 5min. Set aside and let cook for a little bit.
- Carefully peel off one spring roll wrapper. Place the wrapper in a diamond position and add about 1 tablespoon of filling on the bottom. Roll up halfway, fold sides in, then finish rolling. Dab a little water along the edges and seal the roll. Repeat. You should get total 8 mini spring rolls.
- Heat oil in a pan and carefully place spring rolls in the oil and cook, turning occasionally, until deep golden - around 1-2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
For the curry
- First heat up curry paste in a pan for about 30sec. Add the coconut milk and cook for another 30sec while stirring.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for 10min or until vegetables are wilted.
- Serve the curry in a bowl adding the spring rolls. Decorate with basil leave.